Wednesday 10 July 2013

How does your (veggie) garden grow?

One thing I have been waiting for since the end of last summer is fresh garden vegetables.  I have planted a garden every summer for the past eight years.

We always plant right around the May long weekend.  This year we planted it on the Sunday.  I didn't do carrots or radishes this year to make room for more beans.  Our other staples are cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, cucumber, basil, jalapeno peppers and cayenne peppers.

This year I *will* try making salsa.  I have been saying that for the past two years but I really mean it this time!

The roma tomatoes are grown strictly for freezing.  I will do another post on that when it actually comes time to do the tomatoes.  But basically we blanch, de-skin and freeze them in two cup portions.  This equals a large can of tomatoes.  We sub them in any recipe that would normally use canned tomatoes, lasagna, spaghetti, casseroles, etc.  Last fall we did over 100 bags!

I took some pictures of my tiny veggies this morning to share.

Here is the garden itself, fenced in to keep kids, dog, and wild critter (rabbits) out.
My tomatoes are doing really well
There are even some baby tomatoes right now!

The beans are coming out too
As are some tiny cucumbers
And the last one (I promise) the cayennes.  They are not ready until they turn red, but it won't be too long before I am picking them!
Now see that red roof in the top left corner of the very first picture?  After spending two hours weeding all the gardens, I am taking the boys right over there to go jump in the lake.
Happy Wednesday everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment