Thursday 4 July 2013

Micro Suede Cleaner Extraordinaire

If anyone has stained up microsuede furniture, take note! 
I have come across the best cleaner for it, at a very low cost.  The secret cleaner......Rubbing alcohol.
That's right, rubbing alcohol, I tried it out today, and it works great.

*Disclaimer* As with any new cleaning product, please test in an inconspicuous area first before attempting this.

The only things you will need are a spray bottle, a bottle of rubbing alcohol (NOT peroxide) a white sponge or rag, and a scrub brush.

I tried this out on my chair.  Please do not judge the state of the cushions, I have two boys who like to use them for fort building, trampolines, soft landings and whatever else their imaginations produce.

This is the before picture
See, gross right?  I found out after the fact as well that you can't use water to clean stains, it leaves watermarks.  *sigh*  this was filed away for future reference. 

So here is what you do.
1. Pour the rubbing alcohol in to the clean spray bottle.
2. Fully saturate the stained area.
3. Scrub with your white rag or sponge.  Put some elbow grease in to it, you aren't just giving this a light wipe.
4. When it is dry, if it is crispy use your (dry) bristle brush to rub the area and soften it up.

That's it, all there was to it.  Some stubborn stains will require a couple of treatments before it is all the way gone, but even in one treatment of mine it looks almost brand new again!

And now for the after shot!
I did the whole chair as well as the cushions, unfortunately I forgot to take a before shot of the chair itself, but here is the after.
And the rags that I used that used to be white.
Seriously the dirt that you get off is kind of gross.

I am off to do my couch now.




2 comments: