Wednesday 3 April 2013

Banana Bread

After having a stomach bug run through the house my bananas went a little brown.  Since no one in this house likes to eat the "old" bananas, I figured it was time for a batch of banana bread.  This simple recipe is one that I have been making for the past twelve years.  It is very simple and has no nuts in it.  In my mind nuts do not belong in banana bread!  It is a favourite in my house, a big pan usually only lasts three days, and it is safe for school lunches.

I always double the recipe, a single recipe makes an 8"x8" pan, doubling makes a 9"x13" pan.

Your ingredients:


1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup mashed banana (2 bananas for single recipe, 4 for a double)
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp. bakings soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream shortening and sugar together.  Add eggs and mix well.  Stir in mashed banana.
Sift together your dry ingredients.  Add to you banana mixture and mix well.

This is what you mixture will look like.

Pour in to a greased pan.  Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I forgot to take a picture just out of the oven, but this is just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment