Wednesday 10 April 2013

Cranberry Apple Pork Loin Roast

I do not cook pork a lot.  I do not mind the meat itself, it is just that I always over cook it, doesn't matter if I roast it or pan fry it.  I recently found a recipe for crock pot pork chops (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-pork-chops-ii/) and they were amazing!  So the crockpot has become my new pork cooking tool.

I had a pork loin roast in the fridge and I was perusing recipes for the crock pot to figure out what I was going to do with it.  I found this  pork loin recipe    and thought it was worth a try.  I have to admit to being a little skeptical of the ingredients.  I was fine with the apple and cranberry, I thought that the juice and brown sugar would make the recipe too sweet.  But, I am always up for trying something new, so I gave it a go.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe, it was quite good, and very little prep work.  I minced fresh garlic because that was what I had on hand, but if you have the pre minced garlic in a jar it is even faster.

Your ingredients:

  • 1 (3 to 4 lb) boneless pork loin roast
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can whole cranberry sauce
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c apple juice
  • 2 apples, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste 
(I am paraphrasing here since I found the instructions a little vague)
Place your roast in the crockpot.  Rub the roast all over with the minced garlic.  Add remaining ingredients by sprinkling around and on top of the roast.  Cook on low for approximately 7 hours.  Your pork will be done when it reaches 160*.
The pork came out so tender I barely needed a knife to cut it.  I served it with roast potatoes and roasted asparagus.  It was delicious, and my pickiest eater had seconds of the meat.  All in all it was a hit.



3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pork is easy to overcook. This dish looks flavorful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one who finds it too easy to do Pam! In all honesty, unless it is a pork tenderloin, the only way I cook pork now is in the crock pot!

      Delete